Bright lips will be everywhere this season! Everywhere you turn you’ll be seeing brave women with even braver lips! If you’re thinking about tackling this trend, there’s a few things you should keep in mind; but luckily Makemeuppretty has all of the essential tips you should know before you pick up that tube of fuchsia!
* So who shouldn’t rock bright lips? Women with thin lips. Sorry ladies, but if you’re a thin-lipped lady, you’ll want to stay away from bright colors. Instead, try drawing attention to your beautiful eyes! Try a daring smoky eye instead and you’ll still be turning heads! Stick to nudes and glosses for those lips of yours.
* Perfect prep. Before applying your bright color, make sure to prep your lips correctly. You want to make sure your lips are smooth and free of dead skin. You can exfoliate your lips to alleviate these pesky flakes that will cause your lipstick to go on unevenly and look blotchy. The skin on your lips is a lot thinner and more sensitive than the skin on your face, so don’t use your normal face-wash exfoliator. Instead, try an exfoliator made especially for lips, such as e.l.f. Studio Lip Exfoliator which is a steal at only $3!
* Contemplating Complexion. Every skin tone looks better with a certain color than others. Below are some guidelines to think about when purchasing a lip color, but at the end of the day, just make sure you’re happy with the color!
* Fair skin. Fair skinned ladies can totally rock neon colors! Try neon pink which will bring out the pink undertones in your skin. Make sure your colors have cool tones, though, as warm tones will tend to wash you out.
* Medium skin. If you have a medium complexion, you’ve been blessed by the lipstick gods. Your skin tone is cohesive with just about any color. Mix it up and experiment; find the color that you love and rock it, girl!
* Olive skin. Because of the greenish undertones in your complexion, cool colors will perfectly contrast your tones and allow your makeup to look put together. Look for lip colors with bluish or cool undertones.
* Dark skin. Similar to medium skin, dark-skinned goddesses can rock almost any and every bright lip color. If you’re looking for a statement, try to purple or an orangey-red which will stand out beautifully against your skin.
* What about the rest of your face? The cardinal rule of bright lips is to allow them to be the focus of your face. This means minimal makeup otherwise. A few coats of mascara, a bit of blush, and glowing foundation usually does the trick. If you feel uncomfortable will bare eyes, a small amount of eyeliner is subtle and not too much. Above all else, make sure your tones match! What this means, is that if you’re wearing a lip color with warm undertones, make sure your blush also has warm undertones. The same goes for cool tones. If you mix tones, your makeup will look extremely incohesive and mismatched. Turn heads, don’t break necks!
BY REBECCA DIEROLF